Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blogging about Emily Dickinson

The poem I memorized was "I dwell in possibility"

When I first read it, I had no idea what I was reading. I didn't know what cedars was and I didn't really know what the meaning of this poem was. So after I researched some words and read this poem over this is what I got from it. I think that she means that there are endless possibilities in the way that we live. I think that she is dwelling in all the possibilities, and that she's thinking of all of these things inside her head. She is invisioning the sky as the limits, and a house with many doors and windows. I think towards the end when the last stanza ends in "to gather paradise" that she was thinking that all her possibilities would somehow end in a great place such as paradise.  

Dickinson was very clever in the way she wrote this poem. The poetic devices and the words that she uses to describe the sky, the house. I love the vocabulary that Dickinson uses. If you really break down this poem then it would be endless of interpretations that you can think of because this poem leaves room for many possibilities.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of endless interpretations--and I think Dickinson would have too. She never finished her poems, you know, only had version after version tucked away. In the end her editors and survivors had to choose which ones were the "final" versions from all her constant revising.

    Well done here.

    ReplyDelete